Monday, April 28, 2008

Emerald Buddha Taxi

When I photograph inside Bangkok taxis and tell cabbies about this blog, most of the drivers are very interested, and many seem supportive of my project. Some drivers even start showing me extra talisman stored in their glove compartment, or they ask that I photograph the amulets hanging around their neck. Some even ask me to promise that I'll include the photographs from their taxi in my blog.

Today, when I asked the driver if I could photograph his reproduction of the Emerald Buddha, he was completely surprised. He told me he thought it was strange for me to take pictures of a copy when I could have photos of the real jade statue sitting in his own temple. He suggested I go and see the original, and then he offered to take me there. Even after I told him about my ongoing project of photographing inside taxis, he shook his head and said, "You should really take a picture of the real one".