Thursday, May 15, 2008

More is More

The attitude and visual aesthetic in Bangkok calls for more, more, more. In this city, you'll find an overabundance of signage and banners, endless shop houses and malls overflowing with merchandise, huge markets selling every possible item you could imagine, hordes of people meandering down walkways, and food vendors lining the sidewalks hawking literally everything from (noodle) soup to (cashew) nuts. I love it.

I especially enjoy getting in a Bangkok taxi filled with collections of stuff. They feel homey to me, and it gives passengers a lot to look at. While most Thais prefer to live among visual excess, some new luxury hotels and trendy restaurants in Bangkok are opting for minimalist-style interiors. If you ask me, those places can keep their cold, bland decor. I'd rather be in a cab brimming with colorful religious icons, superstitious bric-a-brac, and the occasional furry stuffed toy bear.