Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Green Day

Today, when I asked the taxi driver about the green Buddha and the green ceramic animal figurine in his cab, he told me he was born on Wednesday. If you're not Thai, you might not get the connection. What he was telling me is that he was born on the day of green, and obviously, he chose the green because it's his lucky color. There's a tradition in Thailand that attributes a color to each day of the week. This idea is related to the Thai belief that the day of the week you were born helps determine your personal characteristics and your life, in general. The color for Sunday is red, Monday is yellow, Tuesday is pink, Wednesday is green, Thursday is orange, Friday is blue, and Saturday is purple. Many people in Thailand wear the appropriate color on each day of the week. I'd better get my green shirt ready for tomorrow; tomorrow is Wednesday.