Saturday, August 23, 2008

About the Bodhi

The heart-shaped image of a leaf from a Bodhi tree in the taxi is an important Buddhist symbol. Buddha achieved enlightenment under this sacred fig tree in India over 2500 years ago. The direct descendent from the original species still grows at the sacred site in India, and today the tree is one of the most important holy places for Buddhists.

Today, my taxi driver asked me if I knew about the Bodhi tree. I told him I knew a little, but that I wanted to learn more. Then, he told me I should visit a temple with a Bodhi tree, and he recommended some places to buy my own version of the leaf with a picture of a monk. I thanked him for the information and decided to plan a visit to take a another look at a Bodhi tree. However, I think I'll pass on a plastic-coated leaf with bells.