Monday, December 15, 2008

Sunny-Side Up

The egg is an important symbol in many religions.  It often represents life, hope, eternity, fertility, and the universe, among other things. For example, in Hinduism, Brahma formed heaven and earth out of an egg split in two, and, in Christianity, the egg is a symbol of new life.  When I asked the taxi driver about his wooden egg, he pointed out the ancient Khmer writing on it, and he told me that it helps protect him.  Later on, when we passed through a local night market, we started talking about eggs again.  However, this time we we talked about Thai-style omelets served over rice with chili sauce, fried eggs on top of fried rice, omelets stuffed with "Woonsen" noodles, and omelets with minced pork. At that point, all I wanted to do was to eat eggs. I wonder if the wooden egg can protect me from overeating?