Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Still Life in Moving Bus

As I was standing and waiting for a taxi, the big blue non-air con bus #124 pulled up with my destination as big as life printed on the side of the bus.  I decided to hop on for a mere eight baht, as opposed to the one-hundred and fifty baht it would cost for a taxi.  To my delight, the bus was decked out with a shimmering banner wishing passengers, "Sawatdee Bee Mai" (Happy New Year!), along with wreaths of yellow carnations, a picture of the King, decorative and registration stickers on the windshield, and tinkly wind chimes.  As the ceiling fans whirred and as Luk Thung music blared, I thought to myself, I should be taking this bus home everyday.  

But, after forty-five minutes, we suddenly made a U-turn which seemed very strange. I decided to ask the driver what was going on, and he told me he wasn't proceeding today because I was the only passenger en route to that place. I was very annoyed, to say the least, but I jumped out and got into a cab to go the rest of the way. I guess I'm just destined to take taxis.