Following are a few simple rules to follow to avoid getting burned by cabbies in the "City of Angels":
1. Do not take taxis that are sitting and waiting in tourist areas.
2. Make sure the driver turns on the meter.
3. Carry a map as a guide for yourself, but don't expect your driver to use it or look at it.
4. Bring a business card or get the address of your destination written in Thai.
5. Do not believe some recommendations or claims from your cabbie such as, "I know this great seafood restaurant" or "The Grand Palace is closed today".