Wednesday, August 6, 2014

(Not-So) Hot Taxi

From the moment I asked the driver to take me across town, I could tell that he wasn't so excited to make the journey. He immediately complained about the distance and the likelihood that we would encounter a traffic jam at that time of day. Then, all of a sudden, I noticed that he turned off the air-conditioner, and a few seconds later, he pulled the car to the side of the road. I asked him what was going on and he told me that the car was overheating. It made sense in this city of intense heat, but strangely, there were no red warning lights that went on and there were no other signs that the car was facing a problem. The only thing that was overheating was my body from the lack of air-conditioning and my temper from the whole situation. But I got out of the taxi anyway, and as he sped away, the car was miraculously working just fine again.