Friday, May 2, 2008

May Kaidee

I knew that it was going to happen. I knew that sooner or later I would write about good food and cooking, two of my favorite things in life. If I weren't photographing the insides of Bangkok taxis, I'd be blogging about my culinary adventures in Thailand.

Since arriving in Bangkok, I've been yearning to learn how to make green curry, tom yum soup, and peanut sauce. So, yesterday, my friend, Didier, and I attended a half day cooking course at May Kaidee Restaurant in Bangkok. Not only did we learn how to make ten Thai dishes, but we were able to sit down and try each creation as we were entertained by the owner herself busting out a few Thai dance moves, drumming with a mortar and pestle, and singing a couple of tunes.

I should mention that May Kaidee Restaurant serves vegetarian and vegan food. I should also mention that I'm not a vegetarian, but when I'm at May Kaidee enjoying the fresh, healthy ingredients in sumptuous sauces, I don't miss eating meat. And, in the cooking class it makes more sense to learn how to make basic curries, soups, and sauces sans meat. Later on, if you choose, all of the dishes can be made with chicken, pork, shrimp, etc.

May Kaidee has a large following of foreign travelers, expats, and some health-conscious Thais. You definitely won't find any taxi drivers eating there, and, it seems most Bangkok cabbies have never heard of the place. But, if you're planning a trip to Thailand (or are already here), you should consider taking a cooking class at May Kaidee, or at least plan on stopping by and having a bowl of spicy vegetable green curry with steaming brown rice.

For locations, to sign up for a class, or to order a May
Kaidee cookbook, go to
http://www.maykaidee.com/.