Monday, June 16, 2008

Inside Out

Yesterday, in a taxi, the driver had a collection of metal reliefs with images of Buddha. The driver told me that they were from temples in different regions of Thailand; one was from Chiang Mai in the North, another was from Phuket in the South, there was one from the old capital city of Sukhothai, one came from Khon Khen in the Northeast, and another was from Bangkok.

The metal reliefs faced the outside to protect the driver and passengers on the inside. But, even from the interior, the relief images were striking because of the concave effect and because of the patina surfaces on the back of the metal. I took many photos of the backs of the metal plates, but the driver wasn't convinced that my photos would look good. He insisted that I photograph the images of Buddha from the outside. So, he stopped the car on the side of the road and told me to get out and take some pictures. I appreciated his concern and good intentions, but, to be honest, the photos from the inside turned out to be much more interesting.