Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lady Driver

It's rare to see female taxi drivers in Bangkok, so when I got into a taxi yesterday and saw a woman, I was a bit surprised. When I asked her why she chose to be a Bangkok cabby, she told me it's the perfect job for her because she enjoys driving and talking to people.

She also mentioned that she's been a cabby for over ten years, and that when she first started driving there were only eleven lady taxi drivers in Bangkok. She claims that there are now over one thousand female cabbys in this city, but I find that hard to believe. I've taken hundreds, if not more than a thousand taxis here, and have had only three drivers who were women. If the other lady drivers in Bangkok are as friendly and pleasant as this driver, I'll be sure to look for more women cabbys in the future.